Just back from a wonderful trip to Sicily. If you are ever planning to travel there, let me give you a few tips:
1. Upon landing, send one person in your party to collect a number for the car rental line. Pick up bags, have a nice lunch, and maybe by then there will only be 20 people left in line before you.
2. Men over the age of 65 are apparently issued one of two cars that they are allowed to drive – a Panda or a Punto. They are also only allowed to drive a speed limit of 65 kph on the highway. Watch out for them.
3. Painted lanes on the roads are merely suggestions. What appears to be two lanes really equals 4 or 5.
4. You probably want to get out of Palermo before dark.
5. Don’t think your kids will be excited that there is a giant active volcano. It seems kids are terrified of being drowned in lava. Might not want to mention why the giant mountain has steam coming from the top.
I’m actually going to Sicily in july with my best friend. She’s suggested that we should hike up to the top of Etna. Hike. In July. In Italy. I haven’t answered her e-mail yet. And I have no hiking boots.
I looked up the tour (with some sort of vehicle) for Etna and even with a car, the tour was like 6 hours! So we skipped that. I cannot imagine hiking up there, especially in July! Tell your friend she’s crazy and if she skips it, you’ll buy her a big bottle of wine. haha! What part are you going to?
I will talk to her, for sure! We’re staying in Taormina the whole week, but thought we should do some excursions as well.
We were just outside Taormina for a day. Nice area. If you can get to Cefalu, that place was beautiful!
Thanks for the tip!